Internationally-Renowned Academy Returns to Lower Manhattan,
Where Founded Nearly 190 Years Ago by Columbia Doctors
NEW YORK, NY, January 3, 2006 – The New York Academy of Sciences has announced the signing of a 15-year, 40,000 sq. ft. lease for the entire 40th floor at 7 World Trade Center, Manhattan. The Academy’s new headquarters will be approximately one block from where it was founded in 1817 by doctors from College of Physicians and Surgeons, then New York City’s only M.D.-granting institution, which later became Columbia University’s medical school. The Academy, which now has more than 24,000 members in 140 countries, is one of America’s oldest scientific institutions.
The Academy’s new home will include a world-class conferencing center with the increased space, flexibility, and technical capacity to host the wide ranging programs and events for which the Academy is known throughout the world. These include major New York-based conferences sponsored by the Academy annually; more than 100 annual meetings of the Academy’s Frontiers of Science discussion groups and its disciplinary sections; and lectures, panels and other activities linking science with business, education, culture, and government.
Click here for the full release from NYAS.
Columbia University Medical Center provides international leadership in pre-clinical and clinical research, in medical and health sciences education, and in patient care. The medical center trains future leaders in health care and includes the dedicated work of many physicians, scientists, nurses, dentists, and public health professionals at the College of Physicians & Surgeons, the School of Dental & Oral Surgery, the School of Nursing, the Mailman School of Public Health, the biomedical departments of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and allied research centers and institutions. Columbia University Medical Center researchers are leading the discovery of novel therapies and advances to address a wide range of health conditions. http://www.cumc.columbia.edu