Watch the slideshow of stills and video clips to relive the 2013 graduation ceremony of Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. (Photos and video by Amelia Panico)
Facts and Figures
- 162 MD degrees and 66 PhD degrees were conferred.
- Nobel laureate Robert Lefkowitz, MD’66, James B. Duke Professor of Medicine at Duke University Medical Center, delivered the Commencement Address. “One of the wonderful things about a career in medicine,” he said, “is that the journey has so many possible itineraries. I don’t believe for any individual there is one possible best choice. I hope you do not feel confined to one career path. Be open to evolution.” Listen to the full address here.
- Among the 162 newly minted MDs, 19 graduated with a second degree (9 PhDs, 5 MPHs, 3 MBAs, and 2 DDSs from students in the Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery).
- 32 MD students took extra time for research.
- 22 percent of the P&S Class of 2013 went abroad for scholarly projects or research (MDs only).
- 22 percent of MDs in the Class of 2013 matched at Columbia for all or part of residency.
- 38 percent of the MDs in the Class of 2013 will remain in New York State for residency.